I've been going through Hebrews and it's amazing how much it has to do with the 144,000 and the issues we're going through today. People tend to think that Hebrews is the faith book of the Bible. Yes, Hebrews 11 is the Bible's "Hall of Faith" chapter. But the entire book is more about salvation and the remnant.
Recently I've touched on the new covenant and what it's all about. There has been some debate in our world about the two covenants and since the new one says that the old one is done with, people jump to conclusions about the 10 commandments. Yes, it's true that the 10 commandments are part of the first covenant but it's also part of the second. Let's take a look at the two.
When you go back to Exodus 19 and 20 you see the story of how God came to mount Sinai and gave the 10 commandments (His law) to the people. He called Israel His people and then gave them his commandments. We know that they broke them because we're told they offered sacrifices daily. So to paraphrase; it's like God is saying "you are my people, here is my law. If you don't keep these, blood will have to be spilled to atone for the sin."
Hebrews 8:10 is a quote from Jeremiah 31:33 and this is the new covenant. "For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord; I will put my laws into their minds, and I will write them on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people." And so I'll paraphrase again; here God is saying "blood has already been spilled through Jesus. Now, those who keep my commandments will be my people."
Old covenant, "you're my people, now here's my commandments", new covenant, "here's my commandments, those who keep them are my people". Old covenant, "if you break them you'll need to spill blood in order to atone for your sin" new covenant, "Jesus paid the ultimate price and no more blood needs to be spilled."
That is a very condensed version of what I believe the two covenants to be. The "Law" (the 10 commandments or the law of "self sacrificing love") was given in both covenants. Therefore even if the first covenant was done away with, the law was not. I'm not sure how people miss this point.
Prayer: "Father in Heaven. I pray that this blog pleases you as I pray all my worship does. Please continue to guide me to that which you desire me to learn. Bless those who read this and help it to bring light to anyone that needs it. I pray this in Jesus' name, Amen."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment